Alf Herigstad, an Asatru Gothi, whose Kindred have dropped the Asatru moniker and landed on Heathen. He is a Heathen Gothi (Preist) who shares his story and experiences with us. A carry over from the last episode, Alf grabs his Rune Stones and prepares to read my rune draw. As a bonus, he invited me to attend his Kindred’s Yule Blót this last weekend. Was I ready to attend my first heathen blood sacrifice ritual to the gods? Find out in this week's episode, plus bonus material about my experience at the Yule Blót as I recorded my thoughts on my drive to and from the Blót.
ABOUT ALF HERIGSTAD
I grew up in Olympia Washington on a small farm since the age of 7. I was the oldest, having a brother and sister also.
Among all the things I have been in life; pig farmer, carpenter, ostrich farmer, welder, fence builder, salesman, real estate agent, truck driver, garbage man, etc., etc. I have always been a writer of poems and stories.
From an early age, being Norwegian was my "super power". I eventually found the spiritual path of my ancestors and became an Asatru Gothi.
Everything in my life culminated when I was chosen as a participant on the Norwegian reality TV show; Alt for Norge. I traveled to the land of my ancestors and had a life altering, soul changing experience. Life has never been quite the same since.
I currently live back in Olympia Washington, back on the family farm, and I am loving life.
PICTURES FROM THE YULE BLÓT
MUSIC FROM THIS EPISODE
HIGHLIGHTS FROM THIS EPISODE
- Heathenism, A Folk Way.
- How to make mead.
- The difference between mead and beer.
- Defining heathenry.
- Our way is called Asatru.
- There is nothing in the Norse Lore about racism, sexism,
- Alf’s kindred has dropped the Asatru moniker and just gone with Heathen because there’s often racism in Asatru which doesn’t represent him or his kindred.
- Heathen, is a word that hat was once used to demean them, but they are taking it back.
- “Heathen" was meant to be derogatory. But actually, means people of the Heath.
- My Rune Draw. What it all means.
- The Christian invasion of Northern Europe is why so much of the heathen way was lost. This is about historical, cultural care, not differences of religion.
- Richard Twiss and understanding how Christianity destroyed Native Indigenous Culture.
- What happened to the Norse Indigenous? How did the missionaries rob them of their culture?
- Odin, the chief of the gods, is about growth, improving, so embracing of things outside of the norse way is very Odinic.
- Alf used to be into Casey Treat?! My former “pastor” and boss. Haha.
- TBN, Trinity Broadcasting Network was a staple part of mine and Alf’s past “Christianity”.
- Heathenry, life, if you don't have a community, what do you have?
- Humans being available to other humans.
- Runes is an actual alphabet. They all have a phonetic value. An ordinary meaning and a magical sense as well.
- Marriage, and how we join as a team.
- How did my parents respond when I left Christianity?