Lori Fazzino M.A. is a Ph.D. Candidate & Graduate Instructor with the Department of Sociology at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.
Lori and I have church past together. Meeting in the megachurch fresh out of high school, in different ways, we pursued the hype within the machine together, and now both find solace outside of religion.
Her studies and research are fascinating. This will be a pair of episodes that will encourage those leaving religion and fascinate those in or outside of it. Lori is an agnostic but takes the time to explain why she has taken on a more atheist identity. She feels strongly about being a humanist, in which I too am finding great joy.
Lori has an amazing story of being kicked out the church, and now a present and future as a college professor and soon to be Ph.D. in Evangelical Deconversion. She currently teaches Sociology of Religion at UNLV.
WE TALK ABOUT:
- Our Common experience in the same mega-church and interaction with Casey & Wendy Treat at Christian Faith Center.
- Lori’s conversion story through a mega-church, Covenant Celebration Church, Champions Centre in Tacoma, WA.
- Losing Religion.
- Her labeling me a “none” as far as my religious beliefs go.
- Her doctoral dissertation on the atheist community of Las Vegas. How atheists navigate Las Vegas and the tension she found between religious and non-religious communities.
- The commonality between the religious community and atheist community.
- What is truth?
- Why many unbelievers stay in religion.