CJ is an ex-con with a knowledge of racial tension, a heart for social justice, and a desire to help end the school to prison pipeline.
We realize we're just a couple of white guys, experiencing white privilege, but the reality of police violence on Black Americans has reached us, and we gotta talk about it. I Zac have the proverbial, "Black Friends", but they've always entered my world on my terms, on my comfort level. When the tides are turned, I often wonder...
It's far beyond the time we need to start stepping outside of our comfort zones, because peace isn't possible without doing it.
MUSIC FROM THIS EPISODE
WE TALK ABOUT
- CJ is an ex-con with a knowledge of racial tension, a heart for social justice, and a desire to help end the school to prison pipeline.
- Your bit or bitten in prison. Anything in prison to pass the time.
- Humans burning time or saving time?
- The routines we implement in our lives.
- “You can't soar like an eagle when you hang out with turkeys” is bullshit!
- Personal efficacy, it’s importance, and value to our daily lives.
- You’re never ready, just do it!
- White people need to feel uncomfortable more often.
- Amy Schumer, Lebron James, and Bill Hader, Train Wreck racism?
- Why do we avoid discomfort?
- White boys always listen to rock music.
- MF Doom and the white boy that introduced him to me.
- Is white privilege a thing?
- Change causes us great pain.
- Zac’s inert racism, addressing it and learning to be comfortable with new norms.
- Cognitive dissonance with being around other races.
- We all want to belong and a part of a community.
- Gene Simmons and Donald Trump?
- Being with others, adapting who I am and making others feel comfortable.
- Sameness is not the goal.
- Celebration of diversity.
- Who defines success?
- Not everyone gets to exercise their rights the same way.
- The difference between #AllLivesMatter and #BlackLivesMatter